Sunday, March 22, 2009

Over-do-it-itis

The past week or two I have come down with a case of over-do-it-itis. This is a common virus which I am easily suspectible to, have been my whole life. I try hard to practice preventative medicine, and take steps to avoid catching it, but it always gets me in the end. Like usual, I detected symptoms of the coming attack, but it was too late to do anything to stop being affected. I just had to hunker down and take it. The first symptom is being tired. Now, that one is easy to miss, because tired can be a common condition. But, over-do-it-itis can bring a different kind of tired, commonly described by those affilicted as "really tired". You know, the kind of tired where you actually notice it?

I was tired on Wednesday, and then really tired on Thursday. On Thursday, like I always do, I taught aerobics. As a result, on Friday, I was really tired, and really, really sore. What part of doing lunges, then lunges with weights, and then squats with weights did I think was a good idea? (note to self: you are no longer in your twenties!). So, Friday, I move through the work day, really tired, and really sore, and as a result I was really inefficient. I made a number of mental errors, and wasn't on my "A" game. Have no fear, Friday night card making club went on as scheduled! I got my house cleaned (with assistance from my amazing husband !) (that's not sacrasm, it's true!), and then entertained 7 guests for our monthly card making club. Here is one of the cards we made:

Now, a card like that, and a group of talented, fun women to hang out with can only bring joy. And it did! I love card club! Over-do-it-itis doesn't necessarily mean you aren't having fun! It's all fun; that's why you have to do it all! (another symptom-a nuerotic pressure to over-do!) On Saturday, I had more fun! I had 7 different crafty women at my house (I know lots of crafty women!). Seven of my sista consultants from Close To My Heart came over for a unit meeting. We had fun, information, scrapbooking time, prizes and food. Plus we laughed a lot! After that, the day was young! There were craft sales a mere 6 blocks from my home and some extra money in my pocket. Yee-haw! No matter that I'm still really tired, and still really sore, my girlfriend Kelly and I headed for the sales! We had fun, even though my pulled leg muscle occassionally caused me to walk with a limp, it was all good! After that fun, the day was still young (over-do-it-itis slows your perception of time...the days last forever!) Why not go to the mall with the family! There were great sales, and items of need on the list. My son has needed new underwear for weeks. He showed me how they are now cutting into his skin (ouch!). Perfect ammunition to get Mom to go shopping! Finally, when we get home Saturday night, it is time to do just what a case of over-do-it-itis needs................ handle household chores! I had Saturday night and all day Sunday to get groceries, clean house, do laundry, wash my work clothes, pay bills, assist with family genology homework assignments, visit with my aunt, decorate with the crafts I bought yesterday, make dinner, give baths, and last but not least, update my blog. Whew.

Over-do-it-itis is a very interesting in how it runs its course. It requires one to eventually stop and do something (ironic, I know). Maybe that is stop and rest (well, in a few hours it will be bedtime), or stop and relax (probably not happening) or........ stop and be thankful. Yes, thankful. I know that my rendition of a week of over-do-it-itis might sound like complaining, but read carefully, between the lines, you will see evidence of many blessings. Blessings of family, friends, opportunities and gifts. Being thankful, and expressing graditude is the perfect medicine to treat over-do-it-itis. A thankful moment, to count your blessings, will soon cause you to sigh, slow your breath, and with that your mind, and in no time at all, you'll find yourself moving at something less than the speed of light. This will create moments for rest and relaxation which will provide just enough recuperation to get ready for Monday! :)

Counting my blessings, and blogging a bright idea,

Holly Hakes

No comments:

Post a Comment