Sunday, March 8, 2009

My Inaugural Post

I have been contemplated becoming a "blogger" for some time. No secret to you, it's "all the rage". I've read many blogs, and most of them are from other women who share one of my passions- scrapbooking. I love to scrapbook, and I love to read about and see examples of artwork by women who love to scrapbook like me.

Why haven't I started a blog then? Well, there are a few other irons in the fire. I was hesitant to throw another one in, not because I couldn't handle it, but because I knew I'd probably enjoy it, and then I'd have not another hobby, but another "love" to attend to.

As I mentioned in my profile, I am a lover of many things. And the biggest problem I face in my life, is a drive and a passion to be excellent at all of them. Not that I am excellent at everything I do, but I strive for excellence, and that can occupy a large space of time (and a large part of my subconscious mind chatter!). Regardless, today, I was inspired. Actually, I got a push this last week. Fellow scrapbooker, and CTMH Consultant "Sista" Tammy Hellstren beat me to it. Tammy has a blog (http://www.scrappinwithtammy.blogspot.com/). Tammy's blog gave me a push (thanks for the push and the scraplift of some of your set up!), and then today, I got inspired.

Here's what inspired me today:


This is a scrapbook layout I completed today. I didn't design it myself (I don't have THAT much time!). Like all the pages I created, it came straight out of a CTMH design book, "Reflections" (which you can order from me if you are interested). Even the quote around the perimeter of the page came from the book. It says, "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. And live everyday as if it were your last.".


That quote was the perfect inspiration for this page I wanted to make featuring a favorite photo of my youngest daughter, Ava. Ava, who is five, is very funny. She most certainly the clown of the family, and is the one who lives life to the fullest. This page is the very last page of our 2008 Hakes Family Scrapbook. I love the picture. It captures her humor, her personality and her zest for life. Working on this page today, got me to think more about the blog, the things that could bring me joy from publishing a blog, and just thinking about life in general.


Do you live everyday as if it was your last? As I was uploading the photo of the page on my computer this afternoon, my daughter Iris, age 7, came in and was admiring the page. She read the quote out loud (she is so proud of her reading ability!). I asked her, "if it was your last day on earth today, what would you do?". She replied promptly, "build a snowman, go swimming and buy a new puppy". What an eclectic trio of wishes for how to spend a last day (and way to pour on the "I want a new puppy guilt" to your mom)!


I hope that my blog can inspire you to create something beautiful, to do something that you've been thinking of, or to just take a minute and ask yourself, what you would do if it was your very last day on earth?--- and then, do it.


Blogging a Bright Idea,


Holly Hakes

No comments:

Post a Comment