Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Embrace The Present- It's a Gift

Have you ever heard the saying "Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift, Thats why it's called the Present"? What a powerful idea. As a self-professed "multi-tasker" I often worry that I'll be so busy, I'll miss the gift of today.

I'll admit. That is why I started scrapbooking. I didn't want to forget, and I was (and am) worried that I will. I have a horrible memory. Someone once suggested that I easily forget, because I am not focused and present on the here and now..... I'm always thinking (or moving) ahead or looking behind. That is likely true. Of not only me, but all of us. Especially here in the United States.

I have a friend who just returned from a trip to Rome. She talked of a different pace. A different attention and appreciation of details. Not just the ornate and breathtaking beauty of a place like Rome, but of the food, smells, textures, wine and the good company. She told of having afternoon long conversations, in which no one spoke a common language, and thru which only gestures, and a translation dictionary, served as the platform on which a friendship was built. What makes Rome special? What made those experiences, sensations and friendships special? The focus on the present. The centered energy that allowed the details of the present, every single minute, to be clear to one's sensory experience in a way that hard wired the details to memory in a more powerful manner than any photo or scrapbook page could have ever accomplished.

Tonight, I created Birthday Invitations for one of my ornate beauties, my Daughter Ava. Here it is:


There aren't a lot of fancy details on this card. It is simple. I didn't want the card to compete with the beauty in the photo. I only wish I had the skill to photograph it more clearly so it would do justice to my point. My amazing baby daughter is turning 6 (on May 6th!). Celebrating her golden birthday prompts me to pause, and appreciate the present before me. My baby girl. She is like her mother in many ways, including her creative, artistic tendancy. Notice the pose? She posed for 6 photos this weekend at the cabin, all with a very sassy swing of hip, or toss of her hair. She posed in a manner of confidence and energized spirit that I hope she will always possess and carry with her as a torch and a tool, that will enable her to go great places, create great memories, and enjoy a present that will be plum full of gifts, ripe for her enjoyment.

In spirit with the Romans, raise your glass of wine with me (you do have a glass of wine, don't you?) and toast to the powerful and impressive present. Savor the flavor, smell the scents, enjoy the touches, and embrace it, for the gift that it is. It's a blessing.

Blogging a bright idea,

Holly

1 comment: