Monday, January 25, 2010

Scrapbooking Promotes Healing

I haven't posted for over one month. That makes me sad, because I know I've been out of touch with you, my scrapping friends. Many of you know that my Dad died unexpectedly on December 14th, that means that most things that I am normally on top of have fallen to the wayside in the past month. I'm updating my blog today, which means I'm coping fine. It's a good sign!

Grief is funny. People manage in different ways, and comfort themselves in different manners. For me, the only thing that has brought me comfort in the past weeks is scrapbooking! I have been making cards, completing pages, creating gifts, organizing photos, sorting thru crafting materials, and even breaking out the sewing machine (for pages and also some impromptu sewing projects) all in the name of grief. Seriously, something that makes me so happy (creating) is the perfect balance to a time that has found me so sad. I keep expecting that I will be "all better" but the sadness still hangs on. Fortunately, my trusty crafting is still there, waiting to soothe me, and soothe me it does!

If I posted all of the creative things I've done in the last month or so, I'd need an extra blog! But, I did want to show you a favorite. This is an accordion album I have made over and over, for different gift recipients. I found the directions on You Tube and they are from a fellow CTMH scrapbooker who calls herself "The Stamp Goddess". Type her name in the search engine on You Tube and you will find tons of neat ideas, very entertaining and educational videos, including one with this accordion album. The thing I like is it is made entirely from card stock. That's it!



For this gift, I decided to make an album filled with positive and inspirational quotes. You know, the ones that are good for your soul. I left the opposite side blank. The person receiving it could add a photo, or a journaling block, or leave it alone.


The design of this book allows you to also add tags inside the middle of each page. I didn't do that for this book, but you'll see in the directions how to do that.

I have been reading quotes about grief, trying to sort out and "diagnose" my own. Here's a good one:

As long as I can I will look at this world for both of us. As long as I can I will laugh with the birds, I will sing with the flowers, I will pray to the stars, for both of us. ~Sascha, as posted on motivateus.com

It seemed to be fitting for where I'm putting my grief, into creating, gift giving, and of course, the soul of all scrapbooking, remembering. For as long as I can, I will do all of that, for both of us (and all of us!).

Bloggin' a Bright Idea,

Holly

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Holly! I love your little album. I have made these myself and love them.

    I totally understand your grieving process and know first hand that the "paper therapy" truly works wonders!

    Hugs to you,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the recipient of that little positive thought journal, I can say that it's perfect! And just what I needed last week as it was a rough one! Thanks for being such a wonderful Secret Sister. Abby loved the magnets and we've made some since receiving that gift in the mail. Thanks for inspiring my family and me through your creative genius!

    Sending hugs,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete